Applications are open for the Punocracy Prize for Satire 2022. Punocracy is a community of young writers of satire in Nigeria that was launched in March 2018 to encourage free speech, promote critical thinking, and spread political consciousness.
Their objective is to make satire a widely accepted and understood tool of socio-political commentary in the country and to kindle the fire of interest in the genre. In short, they are on a mission to improve satirical literacy and create a safe space for writers and lovers of satire.
In further advancing these goals, they are seeking entries for the third edition of the Prize for Satire. They believe other forms of writing, from poetry to non-fiction, have received significant attention, and it is high time they equally spotlighted the significance of satirising in opinion-shaping and nation-building. There is hardly a better way to do this than through a healthy rivalry.
- Category: Course, contest
- Amount/value: N50,000
- Application deadline: 6 October 2022
- Applicants should be Nigerians.
- Be aged between 15 and 30 years as of November 2022.
- Only one entry is allowed per person
Also, the entry must:
- Be written in English and saved in a .doc format.
- Be anything between 300 and 1500 words.
- Not be plagiarized in part or in whole.
- Not be jointly authored or created.
- Not have been previously published.
- Most importantly, be satirical.
- Grand prize: N50,000 and certificate.
- Consolation runner-up prizes: Books and certificates.
Go to Punocracy on punocracy.com to apply