The Royal Society is actively seek applications for its long-standing Industry Fellowships from underrepresented groups to increase the diversity of its grant holders. Applicants can request £4,000 for each year, up to a total of £16,000 for research expenses over 4 years.
- Category: Fellowship
- Amount/value: Full cost of research
- Location: United Kingdom
- Application deadline: 29 March 2023
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded for research. For a full list, see the breakdown of subject groups and areas supported by the Royal Society.
- Research must be within the Royal Society’s remit of natural sciences, which includes but is not limited to biological research, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and physics.
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Applicants must have a PhD or are of equivalent standing in your profession.
- Applicants must hold a permanent post or have an ‘open-ended contract’ in either a university, not-for-profit research organization or industry in the UK
- Applicants must are at a stage in your career when you would particularly benefit from establishing or strengthening personal or corporate links between academia and industry as a foundation for long-term collaboration and development
- Applications from scientists with disabilities are eligible
- If applicants need to clarify whether they are eligible for a particular scheme, contact grants[at]royalsociety.org.
- The scheme provides a basic salary for the researcher and a contribution towards research costs. The employing organization continues to pay national insurance and pension contributions.
- Research expenses may be claimed up to the value of £4,000 per year and may be used to support summer studentships at £2,000 per year.
- The summer studentship allows a student to work on an industrially relevant research project under the award holder’s supervision and in collaboration with the host organization.
- At the end of their projects, students are invited to present their work at the annual Industry Fellows Networking event held at the Royal Society.
- The Society can provide financial support to research fellows for any additional care costs that arise when attending conferences, collaborative research visits, or invited talks directly related to their fellowship. These requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Awards can be for any period up to two years full-time or a maximum of four years pro rata, i.e., an award could be held at 50% part-time for four years enabling fellows to maintain links with their employing institution more easily.
- How to Apply: Applications should be submitted through the Society’s grant management system Flexi-Grant®.
- Supporting Documents: All images and references must fit within the page limit of the research proposal document. Applicants will also need a statement of support from their Head of Department, or equivalent, or nominated referee.
- Admission Requirements: The application will go through the process detailed on the Making a grant application page overseen by the Industry Fellowship panel.
- Language Requirement: English skills are required.