Journalism Teacher Scholarships: Each recipient must be a college junior, senior or master’s degree student in a program designed to prepare him/her for teaching at the secondary-school level.
Current secondary-school journalism teachers who are in a degree program to improve their journalism teaching skills also are eligible.
- Category: Bachelor, Master
- Amount/value: $1000
- Application deadline: 15 July 2023
Each recipient must complete the application and include the following:
• A 250-word essay explaining his/her desire to teach high school journalism.
• The answers to the three questions at the bottom of the application form.
• Two recommendation letters, preferably from those who have firsthand knowledge of his/her work with student journalists, and College transcript(s) showing academic standing.
• A committee of teachers and university personnel involved in journalism teacher education will make the selection.
• Scholarships will be awarded by early September. An announcement of the winners will be made on the JEA website and at the Fall JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention.
• The scholarship check is sent to the student’s college or university account after the winners are announced.
The Journalism Education Association sponsors up to two $1,000 scholarships for education majors who intend to teach scholastic journalism.