The Foundry Fellowship is a six-month, transformative experience for accomplished entrepreneurs who are committed to leading the acceleration and interconnection of Africa’s innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystems.
- Category: Fellowship
- Amount/value: Varies
- Location: Worldwide
- Application deadline: 7 July 2023
The fellowship is open to Africa-based founders who have: 1) founded and scaled a for-profit, innovation-driven company, AND 2) who are now at an inflection point and are preparing to transition into leadership in one of the following ways:
- By transitioning from running your innovation-driven enterprise to taking on a new leadership role within the ecosystem; for example, you may be launching a venture capital fund, starting an accelerator, or pursuing a path in policymaking.
- By founding a venture or support organization that will specifically help build innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystems across Africa;
- By expanding your innovation-driven enterprise across the continent, and through that expansion, focus on ecosystem development to reach your growth goals.
Applicants should be aware of the fellowship requirements, including:
As a Foundry Fellow, your commitment to your personal objectives, your cohort, and the next generation of innovation-driven entrepreneurs across Africa is essential to your success. The Legatum Center asks that you commit to:
- Confirming your English language ability: The Foundry Fellowship programming is delivered in English; all fellows should feel comfortable communicating complex ideas in writing, and verbally, in English.
- Attending all Foundry Fellowship online sessions and in-person meetings. Note that the fellowship covers most costs associated with ecosystem tours, including hotels, group meals, group transport, etc.; however, fellows are responsible for their own flights to and from ecosystem tours as well as certain travel-related expenses.
- Participating in all sessions intending to give your full attention to the discussion and topic.
- Presenting the next step you will take after completing the Foundry Fellowship program at the conclusion of the six-month immersion.
- The fellowship is designed for entrepreneurial leaders who seek to catalyze systems transformation and inclusive growth across Africa.
- Complete the online application,
- Record and upload your 2-min video
- Sign the application
- Ensure that your two letters of recommendation have been submitted before the application deadline of July 7, 2023
The application includes:
- Personal demographic information and contact information;
- Details about your role as a founder and your company;
- Essay questions on your interest in the Fellowship program, questions about your role as an ecosystem builder, and what entrepreneurial leadership means to you;
- A resume outlining your educational background, professional experience, leadership positions held, and community engagement;
- A 2-minute video (in English), summarizing the key points of your application, and;
- Two letters of recommendation from people who know you as co-founder, mentor, board member, or senior manager in your company (note: you are responsible for giving recommenders sufficient time to complete the recommendation letters before the application deadline).