Late on Thursday, Donald Trump said that he won’t object to a move by the Justice Department to make the search warrant for the FBI raid on his Florida home on Monday public.
Earlier in the day, Attorney General Merrick Garland had declared that he “personally approved the decision to seek a search warrant” for former President Donald Trump’s Florida home Mar-a-Lago.
Late on Thursday, Mr. Trump posted on his social media platform Truth Social that he “will not only not oppose the release of documents related to the un-American, unwarranted, and unnecessary raid and break-in of my home in Palm Beach, Florida, Mar-a-Lago, I am going a step further by ENCOURAGING the immediate release of those documents.”
“Release the documents now!” he added.
The attorney general stated that the records were of extraordinary public interest, and a motion filed in federal court stated that “the public’s clear and powerful interest in understanding what occurred under these circumstances weighs heavily in favour of unsealing.”
“The Department filed the motion to make public the warrant and receipt in light of the former president’s public confirmation of the search, the surrounding circumstances, and the substantial public interest in this matter,” Mr Merrick said.