The American University in Cairo (AUC) has two categories of fellowships: institutional and sponsored. Institutional fellowships are funded by the University while sponsored fellowships are from private endowments and donors.
Fellowships are highly competitive awards. They are open to new students and may also be available to continuing graduate students who display superior performance in their academic endeavors, depending on the availability of allocated funds for a given fellowship award.
- Category: Master
- Amount/value: Varies
- Location: Egypt
- Application deadline: 5 October 2023
To compete for the fellowship as a graduate student, you must have completed your AUC application for admission and submitted a graduate fellowship application online.
- Priority will be given to applicants with excellent academic standing, and who are fully admitted into a given graduate program.
- Applicants who are provisionally admitted with remedial English language requirements are eligible for fellowship support.
- Institutional and external fellowships may cover remedial English language requirements unless otherwise stated in the specific fellowship listing.
- Applicants who are provisionally admitted with the condition of achieving certain grades in one or more program graduate courses are eligible for fellowship support.
- Applicants who are provisionally admitted with prerequisite undergraduate courses are NOT eligible for fellowship support.
- A GPA of 3.2 or higher is needed for continuing graduate students to be eligible for applying for fellowships unless otherwise stated in the specific fellowship listing.
- A GPA of 3.2. or higher is needed for continuing graduate fellows to retain the fellowship unless otherwise stated in the specific fellowship listing.
Fellowship awards can be given in the form of full tuition fees coverage of nine credits per semester or partial tuition fees coverage between one and eight credits. Graduate students must apply for fellowship support renewal every semester unless otherwise specified in the fellowship listing and/or the fellowship award letter. Fellowship renewal is neither automatic nor guaranteed.
During an exchange semester, institutional fellowships coverage is only limited to AUC tuition. Graduate Student Support Grants can possibly provide support for other expenses as per the support grants criteria and regulations.
Fellowship Duration and Renewal
Institutional fellowship awards are usually for one semester. You must reapply every semester if you continue to demonstrate academic excellence and financial need. Fellowships may or may not be available in the summer and winter sessions. For externally funded fellowships (non-institutional awards) you need to check the specified duration of coverage and terms provided in your signed letter of award. Some of the externally funded fellowships available provide coverage of remedial English courses.