This article covers the list of best VPNs for PC, iPhone, Android, and more to assist you in sorting through the deluge of virtual private networks.
A VPN, or virtual private network, is a tool that conceals your IP address from your internet service provider, websites, and other prying eyes by masking your online identity behind a virtual tunnel.
When you use a VPN, your device and a server located at an unidentified location establish an encrypted connection, making other a location-restricted web platform or people to believe or think that you are surfing from a different place.
In recent years, the use of VPNs has multiplied astronomically. While the popularity of remote working has seen a growth in their use by employees, people in China and Russia have relied on them to help get beyond governmental restrictions.
VPNs are a pretty big deal for businesses that need to safeguard their sensitive data. According to Rick McElroy, a lead cybersecurity specialist at cloud computing company VMware, “Businesses use VPNs to grant access to networks remotely, as well as to protect their data traversing across multiple networks and boundaries across the internet.” “VPNs create a great way to prevent this behaviour for people who are concerned about governments around the world infringing on their privacy and security.”
The VPN market can be a complex, confusing area, and as more companies continue to merge, things are just getting more difficult. In September 2021, ExpressVPN was acquired by Kape Technologies, which also controlled CyberGhost and Private Internet Access.
An earlier merger between NordVPN owner Nord Security and Surfshark occurred in February 2022. As a result, there are now fewer firms that control your data. While this does not necessarily make these companies bad, we should all be conscious of who is in control of our data.
Numerous paid and free VPNs are available, but not all of them are created equal. Many of the available free VPNs are ad-supported, and some even make the claim to preserve your privacy while selling any information collected from your browser history.
Although the majority of the top VPNs charge for their services, several of them provide free trials.
List of best VPNs
- Best overall VPN – ExpressVPN: From £6.03 per month, Expressvpn.com
- Best VPN for PC and Mac – NordVPN: From £2.49 per month, Nordvpn.com
- Best free VPN – Proton VPN: Free, Protonvpn.com
- Best VPN for iPhone – IPVanish: From £3 per month, Ipvanish.com
- Best VPN for Android – Surfshark: From £2.09 per month, Surfshark.com
- Best VPN for Fire stick – CyberGhost: From £1.79 per month, Cyberghostvpn.com
- Best VPN for server hunters – Private Internet Access: From £1.67 per month, Privateinternetaccess.com
- Best VPN for multiple platforms – PureVPN: From £1.75 per month, Purevpn.com